background

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

May your heart be content


“Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.” -Unknown

My life doesn’t always look exactly like I want it to. But it's pretty close. I find myself satisfied with simple little things. A jar of buttons from an estate sale. Some pretty lace and trim. A bird's nest found on a walk.

The world doesn’t change all that much if I have more money, an expensive home, a better job, or a nicer car. The wrapping paper is different, but the gift inside stays the same.

The way I feel about myself; how much I open myself to new people and experiences; how often I choose to smile simply because it feels good. None of these things depend on my life situation.

I don’t think happiness is so much about what you have. What you have changes; your “blessings” evolve. Happiness is about how you interpret what’s in front of you. How proud you are of the way you live your life. How willing you are to enjoy simple pleasures, even if things aren’t perfect.

So what has made you happy this week? Here are some of my blessings:

a quiet walk with my husband in the morning
a call from my son
a day off from work
creating beautiful things with my hands
the thought of spring weather coming soon
a day spent with friends at an auction and treating them to some vintage treasures
coffee when I first get up with a purring cat on my lap
a wonderfully messy, chaotic art space

Excerpts taken from: Seven Reasons To Be Happy Even If Things Aren't Perfect Now by Lori Deschene

No comments:

Post a Comment