background

Monday, October 15, 2012

A letter to Sarah...

"Side by Side"
Collage/mixed media painting


This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending my nieces wedding in Chicago. Although it rained for most of the day (a sign of good luck I have been told!) it did not put a damper on the day. We actually came into town early on Thursday and spent some of the extra time shopping, eating and taking in the city. I wanted to share with you a painting that I had completed several years ago of the bride to be and my letter to her on this special day. I put the letter in one of my handmade paper envelopes and included a copy of the painting to hang in their apartment. I love happy occasions, don't you?
Dear Sarah –
I can’t believe that the little girl called Sarah, my niece is getting married. Uncle Mike and I are so thrilled that we get to spend some time with you before your wedding to celebrate this event.
By now you have opened my present. I did this painting several years ago. The words on the print are "growing in beauty, side by side." You have grown to be a beautiful woman, Sarah, inside and out. And, side by side you will continue to grow with Steve. I knew wonderful things were going to happen to you even then !
So, dear niece, here are my words of wisdom for you…
This is the beginning of the next part of your life. Live. Grow. Find in each other the reason to be better at being yourself. There is no better way to live then with someone you love, who loves you, by your side. I couldn’t be happier for you then I am at this moment. I hope you take chances together, grow together, learn, laugh, cry and dream together. 
This life passes by too fast, so make every breath worth it. Your days are with Steve now. Create a safe place with him for all your dreams to come true. And although you will have your moments and you may not like him on some days, always love him through anything that life gives you. You're in this together, a team. 
Savor every moment of this weekend Sarah and the rest of your lives together.



Beautiful, Sarah on her wedding day. Side by side with her lovely bridesmaids.


No comments:

Post a Comment