background

Friday, May 9, 2014

Design on a Dime - Drop Cloth Curtains

Our new home is coming along nicely and in a few weeks we hope to be moving in. Some things just needed to be done to the house to make it spectacular. A few of these projects cost money. Just couldn't scrimp in certain areas. Like the leopard carpeting on the stairway or the refinishing of the hardwood floors.

However, in order to ease my conscience I decided to save money in certain areas by repurposing, recycling and reinventing! Case in point...my living room curtains. I have 5 windows in that room surrounded by gorgeous wood. I wanted something spectacular but did not want to pay a fortune for window treatments. So, here is what I did:

I found a pin on Pinterest for drop cloth curtains and fell in love with them. So easy to make and each curtain will fit a window width of 30" by well over 109"and only cost me $10! Love, love love. There are instructions all over the internet on how to make these, or you can go directly to my pin. Any brand drop cloth will do. My pin suggests Lowe's but I got mine at Home Depot.

I'm so pleased with the results. Love how they puddle. Love the slightly wrinkled look. Five windows for $50. Lot's of sewing but well worth it.
Decided on the larger size of drop cloth because of the length that I needed. For shorter windows you can pick up the 6'x9' size and it's only $10! Make sure you wash before you sew. I cut this cloth in half (it had a seam down the middle which I also cut out) It worked perfect for my window and I got two curtains from each package. Still only costing me $10 per window.
Here are four of the windows in the parlor. I want to be able to see out to the street but also would like privacy at night. The sun is amazing in this room and I can't wait to put my leopard chaise in this area.
Here is the 5th window with my curtain. Still need to add the ruffles but you could leave like this if you prefer. There are many options. I only had to sew up one side seam and put a curtain rod pocket at the top. I love how it puddles to the floor and most of my friends favor the puddle over just hemming right to the floor. I will sweep each curtain to the side when I want to have more light or view in the room. The Victorians loved to puddle their curtains and as one person has told me every inch of puddle signified a million dollars!  
Adore the ruffles. I cut 10 inch strips from another drop cloth until I had enough (about 1.5 to 2 times the actual width of the curtain) It really adds to the look that I am going for.
One window complete. I can't tell you how happy I am with the final result. They look great pulled to the side and I will post a photo when the room is complete. I know they are a bit wrinkled from traveling back and forth from the house to my sewing machine. I will iron but I really like the look of the wrinkles. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment